The National Seismic Network Department is divided in 2 teams: research team and technical-operational team
Seismic network technical-operational team
The seismological monitoring of the Romanian territory is supported by the specific technical activities required for the proper operation and functioning of the seismic and infrasonic stations. Basically, these activities consist of maintenance actions and field works, carried out by the assigned technical personnel. In support of complex seismic monitoring of Romania, the National Seismic Network (NSN) includes a network of 8 Seismological Observatories (SO), where seismic equipment for surveying of the local microseismicity and earthquake precursors is installed. These SO are running by specialized personnel, representing the NSN Operation Team
Main directions of activity
- development of the network (site selection, installation, verification)
- administration of the network communication infrastructure
- national network integration into the international system
- maintenance of the central acquisition and processing equipment
- operation and maintenance of the SO equipment
- participation in the regional seismic monitoring
- cooperation with national decision makers in case of major seismic event
Seismic network research team
Main directions research activity :
- The Realtime Seismology group activities regarding all aspects of rapid geophysical data characterization, from automatic bulletin improvements to better shakemaps generation
- Design of realtime seismic and GPS networks to deliver earthquake information.
- Development of new methodologies for rapid source characterization and hazard prediction.
- Applications of earthquake alert systems, assessment of system performance, and societal response.
- Developing new tools for data retrieval, access and visualization for open public and researchers
- Information, Education and Outreach activities for mitigation seismic risk
- operation with national decision makers in case of major seismic event