- Lithosphere structure at regional and local scale;
- Dynamics of the lithosphere by complex interpretation of the actual movements of the crust;
- New models at the geologic and tectonic scale, having elements of the physical properties of the rocks, with direct application in seismic hazard assessment;
- Studies of the crustal seismicity and seismotectonics and assessment of the dynamic properties of the crust. In the last years several studies about the natural hazard at a local and regional scale were performed:
- Microzonation studies (local seismic hazard) of densely populated areas, with special view to the Bucharest area.
- The seismic tomography of the main hydropower dams.
Future research directions:
- Methodology for assessing the local seismic amplification using data from seismology and applied geophysics using new non-invasive new methods. Responsible: Dr. eng. Andrei Bala; dr. Doru Mateciuc.
- The definition of crustal stress resulting from recent geotectonic movements as well as the mechanisms of crustal earthquakes and subcrustal in Romania. Responsible: Dr. eng. Andrei Bala.